in New Orleans
So Homeless Youth Don't Have To.
- On November 20, 130 business & community leaders headed outside into a New Orleans night with sleeping bags and cardboard to serve as their beds. They lay on the sidewalks of the city, looking up at the Covenant House building where 148 young people were safe and warm inside. Together, these men and women raised more than $362,000 to continue the vital work of Covenant House New Orleans.
- As seen on Good Morning America, the Sleep Out Movement is sweeping the nation. Watch and share this special interview with Robin Roberts featuring Kevin Ryan, Rick Van BenSchoten and one of our young people, Nigeria. Rick is a Board member and longtime supporter who has slept out every year since 2011 and most recently hosted a Corporate Edition on October 23 with his colleagues at Lenox Advisors Inc. Thank you Robin, Rick and everyone who made this possible for us!
- Hunger and homelessness do not have to be the norm! Covenant House is proud to take part in National Hunger & Homelessness Awareness Week, which exists to break through stereotypes, educate, assist important service providers, and change the futures of those trapped in a life of poverty. By Sleeping Out in 15 cities across North America this November, executives and community leaders are doing their part too. #NHHAW
- A huge thank you to all 130 of our sleepers - including Whitney Bank President Joseph Exnicios, Bellwether Technology President Poco Sloss and his wife Liz, Sheriff Marlin Gusman, WWL-TV President & GM Tod Smith, N.O. Tourism & Marketing Corporation CEO Mark Romig, attorney Philip Claverie, Councilmember-At-Large Jason Williams, "Fleurty Girl" Lauren Thom, Blue Cross Blue Shield Director of Diversity Rod Teamer, and Mayor Mitch Landrieu.
- Thank you as well to our generous event sponsors: Allstate, Bellwether Technology, the New Orleans Fairgrounds, Baptist Community Ministries, Crystal Hot Sauce, Iberiabank, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Capital One, First Bank & Trust, the Louisiana Pizza Kitchen Uptown, Whitney Bank, and WWL-TV.
Join Us on November 19, 2015
You, too, can be a part of this international movement to help kids off the street. Commit to fundraise. Reserve a sleeping bag. Let your life be touched by a young person who has much to share. Join us next November.
Ready To Make a Difference?
Jim Kelly - Exec. Director Phone: (504) 975-0650 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Rich Arnold - Dev. Director Phone: (504) 584-1141 Email: email@example.com
Why We Sleep Out
In any major American city, walk outside and you will find a homeless young person struggling to survive. You might not recognize him as homeless, that teenage boy with the torn jeans and too-large hoodie listening to music in the park with his friends, or that young girl with a broken-wheeled stroller and dark circles under her eyes. Homeless youth blend into the crowd, spending precious energy to go unnoticed.
Every November, business leaders across North America gather at Covenant Houses in the United States and Canada. They come together to notice these young people, hear their stories, and bear witness both to their struggles and their steps forward into brave new lives. Then, in a statement of solidarity and open-hearted generosity, these men and women will take to the streets with cardboard and sleeping bags while the kids who live at Covenant House will go to sleep in safe, warm beds.
It’s no small thing to sleep on the street every young person in a Covenant House bed can say, “That’s a big deal!” If you’re willing to step toward your fear, to have your mind and heart opened, then join us for a night you will never forget.
Click here to view photographs from past Sleep Out events.